Advertisement

Custom Seiko SKX013 Polar SKXmMM mod - Phase 4

Custom Seiko SKX013 Polar SKXmMM mod - Phase 4 In Phase 4 of my SKX013 mod, I do a few things.

First, I remove the appropriate feet from the back of the customized Namoki Polar Dial to match those for a movement with a crown at 4 o'clock position. I am sure to file down any remaining parts of the removed feet so that the dial is sure to sit flat and even as possible. Then, install the dial to the movement.

Next, I customize the DLW Mix & Match handset in 2 ways. First, I paint the second hand with blue and red sections. Red from the hand stem center out to the arrow tip. Then, continue from the arrow tip to the remaining tip of the second hand in blue. Why? This mod is supposed to be an amalgamation of design concepts. One of them is the Rolex Polar Explorer 2. Specifically, the reference with the red GMT hand. That has a red arm and the arrow tip is black. I like blue (& blue and red color combo) and just wanted to accent the tip of the arrow hand with a bright blue in contrast. Lastly, you'll note that the balance end which is like a small lollipop is similar to that used on the second hand of the Rolex Polar Explorer 2.. also, in black. So, the second hand I have in this mod kind of mixes the second hand balance end with the GMT hand of the RPE2. Obviously, my way of combining the ideas as the SKX013 and the NH36A movement I'm using in it does not have a GMT movement.

2nd, although the DLW application of custom C1 superluminova in the hand set are actually better than I expected, I wanted to try and improve and change it up slightly. I add my own blue watch lume paint to the backside of the hands. In doing so, I hope to increase the glow intensity slightly. If not, at least prolong the glow duration throughout the night. As a semi-bonus side effect, the mixture of lume paint gives a slight blue tint to the green glow of the C1 lume paint. I feel this is a way to homogenize the glow color palette throughout the watch as the dial as green C3 lume color and the bezel insert pip and signed crown glow blue.. So, this blue/greenish glow of the handset should be a nice in-between color to tie it all together.

As quickly mentioned, the signed crown glows blue. Yes, I also added some blue watch lume paint into the "S" of the SKX013 signed crown from Crystal Times. At least externally on the bezel and case & crown collectively, I felt it made sense to tie the blue glow of the lume pip with a blue glow in the crown. Also, I feel the blue watch paint fill into a Seiko "S" crown has become one of my mod signatures.. provided the watch mod has a signed crown for me to work with.

Looks like all is now just about ready. In the next Phase 5, I combine it all and this mod project should be completed soon.

Phase

Post a Comment

0 Comments